Tips for Safe Chemical Storage and Use
http://wckitchenfoundation.org/?map10 The simple safety checklist:
- Read the label before purchasing any chemical. Understand the correct use and the dangers posed by the chemical.
- Choose the least dangerous product that will do the job, especially if children are present.
- Lock chemicals in a cabinet out of the reach of children. Remember children are curious, inventive and good climbers.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Handle with extreme caution.
- Use recommended protective equipment: gloves, safety goggles, trousers and long-sleeved shirts are a minimum. Ensure adequate ventilation.
- Seal chemicals in their original containers.
- Do not reuse empty containers or repack product in different containers.
- When recharging car, motorcycle or boat batteries, loosen the caps on the battery cells, ventilate the area, turn off all electrical appliances in the vicinity.
- Do not mix chemicals.
- Do not prepare more chemical than you need for the job.
- Do not use chemicals for jobs for which they are not intended.
- Do not pour chemicals down the drain, the toilet or the gutter.
- Do not use tools that generate heat or sparks near flammable items.